Thursday, April 8, 2010

A new chapter in life...

What can I say, at every new stage in life, we pause and wonder if we really can cross this stage. And before long we are way past the stage to even realize we did cross it and with flying colours!

This week saw another important milestone in our life. Our twin boys started their mainstream schooling. They are used to being away at school at a very young age still it was more of a fun thing and they felt at home in their playschool. As the days got closer, I was remembering the same period when Konda started her school. That first day when I spent the entire time sitting with her. And the second day she was crying, refusing to go. Then she managed to get adjusted. The third day when her father went to drop her, he was waiting for her to get vanished in the crowd but she was walking ahead with every step she turned to look at him. He couldn't get himself away and was feeling worse when he saw her trip over a pot and fell down. Braving not to cry, she got up, waved one last time, before getting inside the class.

Hubby dear came up all worked up. Swearing never to send his little angle anywhere, he finally came to terms. Change is a content entity in life. Adapting is even more. She is now going to enter a grade, which I so clearly remember of my own. Does life really passes in a wink of an eye?

Years have passed and it is now my boys turn to begin the Journey of their life! A Journey that is sure to have all the different colours that Life can offer. The first three days we had to stay back for an hour and get them. By second day they were fine, but asked if I would stay back with them. I assured them that Mummy will be waiting outside while they played and got to know their teachers better.

This morning Peddu came up and asked me if I would stay back with him, I said I will. He replied "But you say that daily but never stay back", with look that welled up my eyes. I gathered him up and pinched his cherubic cheeks. My dear Peddu, he is such a darling innocent baby. Not that Chinnu isn't but at least he looks little capable of taking care of himself and his brother. Well I knew I thought that too soon, for while I was dropping them at the school, Chinnu asked me very softly if I would stay back with them. I assured him that I will be waiting just outside to the door.

I am sure just as Konda did, my boys will have a spring in their legs to jump out for school. And will never remember these days. They will soon come to love their new school and new things that Life will bring out. It is only we who need to have more courage to get them across these days...

5 comments:

The Cooking Ninja said...

I remember the day I sent my daughter to school. I was the one finding it hard to adjust being at home without her. She was thrilled to go to school even on the first day and when she was little, day care. :)

How time flies and our little one all growing up and spreading their wings. At least for now we still have them at home n close to us. It just seems like yesterday we brought them home from hospital, celebrated their 1st birthday.

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi Valli,
I know how it is!! I had this problem, event to goto swimming I used to cry. The way you have written is really very touching. I know how you and your hubby might be feeling. But, that's life right?
Remember the letter from Abraham Lincoln written to the head master!!!
But, touch wood, my both daughters loved their school from the day one.
My younger one is troubling me that she wants to goto school now(she has summer holidays!!)
I think my comment is too long!!
Keep up the writing.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

i can very well connected with the feel valli, my kuttu is starting his regular school next week!!!

starry said...

I remember the time when I cried to go to school,it seems like yesterday and when my kids had their first day at school.Yes they do grow up and remember fondly their first days at school.

anushruti said...

I dread thinking about the day my little baby starts schooling.